What is sleep apnea?
Sleep Apnea is characterised by frequent and brief periods when breathing stops during sleep due to a partial or complete blockage of the airways. The most common form of sleep apnea is Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA). Normally during sleep, the muscles which control the tongue and soft palate hold the airway open. If these muscles relax the airway becomes narrow which causes snoring and breathing difficulties. If the muscles relax too much, the airway can become completely blocked, preventing breathing. Once the airway has closed, the brain realises there is a lack of oxygen and alerts the body to wake up. This may occur over 50 times every hour.
How do I know if I have sleep apnea?
Sleep apnea is frequently noticed by the sufferer’s sleeping partner. Not everyone feels tired during the day, however snoring, noticeable pauses in breathing and gasping whilst asleep are very common signs. These symptoms can also be quite frustrating for the partner whose sleep is also disturbed. Sleep apnea is very common in people who are overweight and the tiredness caused by sleep apnea can make it difficult to lose weight.
Signs and Symptoms
Sufferers may experience:
• Restless sleep
• Waking during sleep with a choking or gasping sensation
• Headaches, sore/dry throat, or fatigue upon waking
• Fatigue throughout the day and while driving
• Forgetfulness, lack of concentration
• Mood changes and depression
• Decreased libido
How can we help?
- Visit the friendly team at Healthpoint Day & Night Chemist or Healthpoint Northside Chemist to collect a sleep study referral form.
- Visit your GP to sign off on the sleep study referral form.
- Make an appointment with our Sleep Technicians at Healthpoint in the City or Northside.
FREE* At Home Sleep Study
- 45 minute initial consultation (with GP’s referral), information session on sleep apnea and how to use the device.
- Patient takes device home to carry out overnight study.
- Device returned the following day.
- Data analysis and recommendations made by independent Sleep Specialist (time of results approximately 3-10 business days).
*Bulk Billed with Medicare details